Friday, March 27, 2015

Culottes? Why Not!


This spring, culottes are everywhere.  Every few days, my daughter sends me an email featuring some designer’s version of the “modern culotte”.  She suggested (several times) that I blog about culottes.  I thought:  “Culottes? Are you crazy?  Why would I want to blog about a design that I thought I had left behind in my younger days?”  Then I looked at the reincarnated versions that are being featured and I was intrigued and thought:  “Culottes?  Why Not!”

The Beginning
According to Wikipedia, culottes originated with the “knee-breeches” worn by the upper-class gentlemen from the Middle Ages through the early nineteenth century.  The first five presidents wore culottes with James Monroe being the last.  

James Monroe was the last U.S. President who dressed according to the style of the late 18th century, with his Cabinet in 1823.   The president wears knee breeches, while his secretaries wear long trousers.  "James Monroe Cabinet" by Unknown - The Granger Collection, New York.

Support of Women’s Freedom
During the 19th century, women had difficulty doing certain activities as they always wore long skirts.  Split skirts were developed so that women could sit astride a saddle while horseback riding and also allow them greater freedom while gardening and cleaning and, all the while, looking like they were wearing a skirt.  The term “culotte’ was used to describe this split skirt.  After learning this link to women’s empowerment, I was even more intrigued.

My Recollections:  Culottes by Other Names
Over the years, I have worn some type of split skirt as they have come into fashion.  When I went to college (late 60’s), we weren’t allow to wear pants to class and to the dining hall except on weekends.  So, to be a little bit of a rebel we wore “gaucho pants” as they looked like a skirt but were the next best thing to pants.  At one point (not sure what decade! maybe 70’s), I had a pair of brown suede gaucho pants.  I mainly wore them with boots and a poncho.   I loved these and remember them fondly.  Wish I had a picture to include....

The Modern Culotte -  Spring 2015
This spring designers are having a love affair with culottes.  They come in all lengths, widths, and fabrics.  Here are just a few that have come through my email (through my daughter also):

These are featured as “Cool Culottes” made in cotton, cotton twill and luxe crepe ranging from $108 - $138. Now 20% off with code GETITNOW.




Theory
Theory is featuring the “culotte” as a type of pant "fit" right alongside the relaxed, slim, and straight fit.  Does this mean culottes may be around to stay?  Below I'm featuring the Gera S Pant in Classic Suede.  It is just like my pair of gaucho pants I wore in the 70's.  The only difference is the price at a mere $675!



My Modern Culottes
I was so curious about these modern culottes that I had to go shopping last weekend so I could try a pair.  I ended up purchasing the cutest pair of culottes from one of my favorite stores Anthropologie.  I tried on the high-waisted linen wide-legged and loved them!

I can dress them up with a tucked-in blouse and a heeled sandal for a date night with my husband or I can wear them with a crop top or tee and a pair of Toms for a play date with my granddaughter.  Below is my smart business casual look where I added a jacket and pumps.  Perfect for work or a business meeting.



Thanks to my husband for taking these pictures outside in 20°!


After all the research, here is what I learned - I can still wear culottes and look age appropriate and yet modern.  Culottes aren't so bad - in fact - they're kind of amazing.  Give them a try.


Culottes - Why Not?


Guess what I have to try next - a culotte jumpsuit!

All the best,
Kathy










No comments:

Post a Comment